Mentor Screening Policy
It is the policy of the Dorothy’s House mentoring program that each mentor applicant completes a screening procedure. All staff members are trained and required to carefully follow the screening procedures. At minimum, the following screening procedures are required for mentor applicants. Program staff ensure that each applicant completes these established minimum screening procedures:
Mentor screening procedures
• The mentor must attend an initial orientation session.
• The mentor must complete a written application.
• The mentoring coordinator makes the following background checks: national or state criminal history, child abuse registry, and sex off ender registry. Checks must be performed in all states the mentor resided in as an adult.
• The mentoring coordinator should check the mentor’s driving record and get a copy of his or her current auto insurance coverage.
• The mentor must provide three personal references and employment information.
• The mentor must complete a personal interview.
• The mentor must fully participate in all pre-match training.
The decision to accept an applicant into the mentoring program will be based on a final assessment done by program staff at the completion of the mentor screening procedures. The mentoring program coordinator has final approval for an applicant’s acceptance into the program.
All Dorothy’s House mentors are expected to meet all eligibility criteria.
Every Child looks forward to opening toys at Christmas time. Every year we host an annual toy drive collecting toys for the Division of Family and Children Services. These toys are presented to children currently in foster care.
Mentors are our biggest resource. Our mentors provide critical services to our teens
What is the process? Once contacted anyone interested in becoming a mentor will receive a phone call from our office explaining the process and forms will be sent. A background will be conducted for all mentors.
How much time and money will I have to invest? The minimum fee is $25 which covers the background check. Your time commitment varies however the minimum time commitment is 25-30 hours per month.
We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
3375 Centerville HWY #392605
Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
Saturday: By appointment
Emergency 24 hr line: 404-465-3366